The Echo Knob is a tiny LFO (Low Frequency Oscillator, aka ramping) that connects to your pedal expression input to automate it. It also allows you to record a custom pattern that will play in loop. It is powered with 9V center negative as most pedals. Male and female jack versions.
Check the video at the end for a more hands-on manual.
Despite having just a single button and knob, the Echo Knob packs a good amount of features:
- Two operation modes: LFO and Echo. Double press to swap between modes.
- LFO mode: Sends an oscillating signal to pedal. Rotate the knob to change speed. Button + Knob will change LFO shape (triangle, square, random) and also depth (check diagram).
- Echo mode: Allows to record and play a custom knob movement. Hold button to REC and release to play automatically the recorded pattern (up to 10 seconds). When holding REC, the LED will blink shortly to indicate it’s starting to record.
A simple usage for it is just recording an incrementing/decrementing value to get a saw shape.
- Single button press to play / stop in any mode, being very easy to start and stop the LFO.
- When stopped, the knob will behave exactly like an Expression Knob, allowing you to control expression manually. Press the button once again to start the LFO / Echo pattern again depending on the current mode.
- LED indicates the current expression value being sent to the pedal.
- Designed to fit Chase Bliss Audio pedals, check device size for other brands, especially if they have other connectors near the expression one.
- Hidden ultrasonic mode: LFO speed is multiplied so it can reach almost audible range.
Echo Knob dimensions:
Fits perfectly most Chase Bliss Audio pedals, check dimensions for other brands. Few to none space is lost in the pedalboard.
Selecting LFO shape and depth:
When in LFO mode, press button and move the knob to select the desired shape and depth. LED brightness will indicate the depth of each LFO shape.
How to use it:
Once connected to your pedal’s expression input, when powered up the Echo Knob will start in LFO mode (triangle shape, full depth), the LED will blink like the triangle shape. Current LFO speed will depend on knob position. Press the button once to stop the LFO and select manual expression.
- If you already have a Chase Bliss pedal with ramping, it allows you to easily start/stop the LFO without having to touch the tiny dip-switches (internal ramping is disabled when connecting the Echo Knob), in addition to 3 LFO shapes with configurable depth. It also allows you to record custom expression patterns. Another example are the Automatones, which don’t have internal ramping and could especially benefit from this device.
- For other pedal brands, you can create vibrato-like effects, add motion and possibilities to pedals that didn’t have this option but that are provided with an expression jack input. It will especially benefit from pedals with a wide range of expression options like Strymon, Meris, Eventide, Empress, Hologram Electronics, Chase Bliss Audio…
People in the US/Canada keep in mind:
– Shipping times are usually 4-6 weeks or even more.
– Despite sending with tracking number, USPS website won’t show the tracking information of packages from Spain.
- Check size diagram to be sure that it fits your pedal and no other important connectors of your pedal become unusable. If you aren’t sure if it will fit, I recommend the female version of the Echo Knob.
- This device is intended to use gently with the hand, not with the feet. Pedal connector could suffer and also the device button.
- Compatible with the same pedals as the Expression Knob (most brands).
- Power supply not included. Use a good 9V center-negative power supply for best results, it is ok to daisychain.
- Case is 3D-printed plastic, knob is CNC-machined aluminum like the Expression Knobs.
- The 1/4 inch jack is the only thing that holds the Echo Knob with the pedal. In most Chase Bliss pedals, the pedal DC jack acts as an additional support but in many other pedals you may need to place some object or connect a near jack under the echo knob to hold it steady.
Male TRS, Female TRS